Recently I went to a Sydney cafe called Barbetta.
I was transported to Italy from the moment I entered the front door.
I ordered the ‘Insalata Barbetta’ and cried and wept from deliciousness.
Here is my take on it!
Serves 6 for lunch
1/2 Savoy cabbage – finely sliced
1/2 cup Pine nuts – toasted
1/2 cup Raisins
1/2 cup Pepitas
180g Pecorino Romano cheese – finely shaved
160g thinly sliced Prosciutto – crisped in oven
juice from 2-3 lemons and a very generous splash of extra virgin olive oil – to dress
1) Turn the oven on to 180 deg cel. Scatter the pine nuts on a baking paper lined tray and toast for about 5Â mins or until golden brown, BE CAREFUL NOT TO BURN.
2)Â Finely shave the cabbage – use a mandolin or a very sharp knife! Be careful! Place cabbage in large salad bowl with pine nuts.
3) Scatter raisins and pepitas into the salad.
4) Place the prosciutto in a single layer on a baking paper lined tray and roast at 180 until crispy, about 8 mins BE CAREFUL NOT TO BURN.
5) Allow prosciutto to cool and then stack it upon the salad, as per the picture.
6) Grate pecorino all over the top of the salad.
7) Generously splash salad with extra virgin olive oil and the juice from 2-3Â lemons.
8) Present salad as pictured to your guests and then toss well to serve.