You’re either a Truffle fan or you’re not.
I REALLY am.
If you’re not, then this recipe is definitely not for you! This one is ALL ABOUT THE TRUFFLE.
After eating ‘Truffle Mac and Cheese’ at a couple of different places in Dubai (back in March), I was inspired to come home and create a PHOODIEÂ version.
I’m not gonna lie, this recipe is on the more expensive side to make, but that said, it is not designed to be eaten as a main dish but rather as a side to a BBQ or Roast meal.
It’s so rich, that one scoop definitely hits the spot!
It can be served two ways; fresh out of the pot with a sprinkling of parmesan on top or baked in the oven with breadcrumbs and parmesan topping. Try it both ways and see what you prefer 🙂
[Makes 2 x (25 x 25cm) square dishes /Â serves 10 as a side]
500g dry pasta (I used Maccheroni but you can use anything! Elbows, bow tie, penne, rigatoni etc)
3 heaped tablespoons butter
3 heaped tablespoons plain flour
800 ml full cream milk
salt and pepper to taste
200g Truffle BrieÂ (I use La Maison de la Truffle’s Brie with Black and White truffle but you can use any type)
200g Cheddar with Truffle
1 cup breadcrumbs (I use garlic and parmesan crumbs, store bought, but you can use any type)
1 cup finely grated parmesan
1) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2) Cook the pasta as per packet instructions, drain, stir through a teaspoon of olive oil so it doesn’t stick together and set aside.
3) Melt the butter in a pan and then add the flour, whiskingÂ together over mediumÂ heat.Â This is known as a ‘roux’.Â Once the flour is cooked out, (i.e. after about 3 minutes) slowly add the milk, whilst continually whisking out the lumps. Don’t stop whisking, keep whisking! You will notice your white sauce starts to thicken.
4) AddÂ the brie, whisk until it melts. This will take up to five minutes or so. Once melted,Â add the cheddar, again, whiskingÂ until melted through. Taste and then add salt and pepper accordingly.
5) Fold the white cheese sauce through the pasta and then transfer to one large or two smallerÂ baking paper linedÂ dishes.
6) Top with breadcrumbs and parmesan and then place into oven for about 45 minutes or until the top of the mac and cheese becomes dark golden.
7) Remove from oven and serve immediately.
note: In step 5 above, after you have folded the pasta through the sauce, instead of placing it into baking dishes, you can scoop it out and serve it immediately with just some fresh parmesan sprinkled on top.